Sunday, May 13, 2007

Angel returns to the war



US soldiers on convoy duty in Iraq
US soldiers on convoy security detail

Our little buddy Angel went off to the war on Wednesday (he's 24 and a private in the National Guard). He'll be spending about two months in retraining before they ship his Guard unit back to Iraq. Originally, his unit was headed for Kuwait, to a previous assignment- convoy security - but a last minute change of plans (sound familiar?) changed the orders to Baghdad. Yup. He's headed for the meatgrinder.

This is not Angel's first deployment and may not be his last if things remain the way they are, what with no benchmarks or any reasonable guidelines other than "victory."

I asked Angel about that victory stuff, and he responded, "The only thing that matters to me is keeping my buddies' asses covered. That's it."

I quipped, "Yes, indeed, the sweet smell of victory in the morning: the odor of your buddy's 'safe ass'." Angel didn't laugh.

Angel is pretty computer savvy - in fact, he helped me build this very computer that I am blogging on right now - so we are looking forward to hearing from him about conditions on the ground. He cautions against any kind of realtime communications, however. He informs me that the powers-that-be have clamped down pretty hard on blogging from the zone, but he says he'll do what he can.

I told him to keep his head down, and he said, "Yeah, that's what they all say."

Good luck, Angel.

No comments: